Maths is all around us underpins our daily life and is critical in our children’s future. At Shield Road we aim to encourage our children to have a positive attitude towards maths and enjoy the fun and mental challenge it brings.
Children in Years 1 to 6 are taught a daily maths lesson that encompasses ‘Fluency, problem solving and reasoning questions’ together they create a mastery approach to enable children to have a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. In order to achieve this, we use the White Rose scheme of work and our maths lessons include a range of mastery aims:
- To promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion.
- To promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system.
- To develop the ability to solve problems through decision making and reasoning in a range of contexts.
- To develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented.
- To explore shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts.
- To understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life.
Click to read our maths policy below:
Maths Curriculum Document Calculation Policy Documents
The Maths Curriculum
The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, so that they develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately. Mathematical reasoning and problem solving give children the opportunity to apply their knowledge in a variety of ways. The National Curriculum requires children to be confident in both mental strategies and written methods and it covers the following areas:
- Number & Place Value
- Addition & Subtraction
- Multiplication & Division
- Fractions (including Decimals from Year 4)
- Statistics (from Year 2 onwards)
- Ratio & Proportion (Year 6)
- Algebra (Year 6)
Click here for the National Curriculum - Mathematics document.
The children are using their 'Timestable Rockstar' logins at school to support and encourage their multiplication learning and quick recall of number facts. This resource can also be accessed at home in your favourite browser via https://play.ttrockstars.com/. And can be downloaded from App stores to be played on phones or tablets.