November 4th saw visiting author, C.S. Clifford spending the day at Shield Road working with the children in KS2.
After asking him lots of questions about being an author, the children in Y3/4 attended a workshop focusing on creating exciting sentences and then editing them to make them even better!. The children in Y5 and Y6 learned how to write a good suspense story.
Everyone enjoyed the day.
English at Shield Road Primary develops our children's ability to listen, speak, read and write for a wide range of purposes including the communication of their ideas, views and feelings. Children become empowered to interpret the world around them and to make sense of their experiences; from this perspective English is a tool for both our thinking and learning.
Throughout our English lessons children are able to express themselves creatively and imaginatively as they become enthusiastic and critical readers of stories, poetry, non-fiction and drama.
- Phonics: Children will be taught synthetic phonics using Letters & Sounds daily.
- Spoken Language: Develop children's abilities to use and understand language effectively as speakers, listeners and writers.
- Reading: All children will be encouraged to read daily and will be taught reading skills and strategies through Guided Reading sessions.
- Writing: Writing skills are taught within the English lesson with teachers clearly modelling the intended outcome. Opportunities are planned across the Curriculum for children to practise and embed these skills.
- SPAG: Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar is taught daily.
- Vocabulary: We create a vocabulary rich environment in all lessons, giving children a toolkit of resources.
Autumn Terms 1 & 2 class books
Year 6: Treason by Berlie Doherty/Shakespeare sonnets.
Year 5: The adventures of Odysseus by Hugh Lupton & Daniel Morden/ The Midnight Fox by Betsy Byars
Year 3/4: The Journal of Iliona by Richard Platt/The Day the Crayons Quit by Oliver Jeffers
Year 2: Sir Charlie Stinky Socks by Kristina Stephenson/ The Princess Knight by Cornelia Funke
Year 1: The Three Billy Goats Gruff, a Traditional Tale/ The Egg by M.P. Robertson
Reception: Owl Babies by Martin Waddell, The Big Red Bath by Julia Jarman/Aaaarrgghh, Spider! by Lydia Marks, Spinderella by Julia Donaldson, Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell.