Children get opportunities to take part in musical activities in the classroom through our scheme of work looking at performing with instruments and singing, listening to different types of music and composing their own music. Year 4 had great fun learning to sing Mamma Mia by Abba and Year 5 Living on a prayer by Bon Jovi.
Each week we have a singing assembly where we sing a range of songs including singing rounds. There is a clip of them singing Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree in 4 parts below.
Each year group also gets an opportunity to take part in a musical performance.
- Foundation and Key stage 1 perform a nativity
- Years 3 and 4 perform a musical in the spring term
- Year 6 put on a performance in the summer
Also during the year
- Year 5 have a 6 week singing programme
- Year 4 have 10 weeks of learning the djembe drum as a class
Finally they also have the opportunity to learn the guitar in group lessons.